3D Room – Modelling Complete (part 5)

Yesterday I managed to finish 99% of the items I needed to model for my room. Some of the last ones I did were the most challenging; I found the desk lamp was actually the most difficult model to do, since the shape didn’t lend itself to using basic shapes. However, because I’ve done the bulk of my modelling, I could start to focus on building up the architecture of the room, and then UV unwrapping/texturing the models.

Wine Glass

wine-glassThis may not have seemed like a complicated model to do, but I knew I wanted it to have a transparency on the whole glass. In the picture to the left, I just put on a basic shader to show what I’ll be doing once I texture it properly.

I think it turned out quite well, actually. I started with a cylinder (a common step for quite a few of my models now) and extruded/angled the bottom of the cylinder to create both the inner and outer “bowls”. It took a little while to get the look right; while I could merge the vertices of the inner bowl to the centre, I needed to create the stem of the glass from the outer bowl edges.

Extruding quickly became my best friend throughout this entire project – sometimes you manage to get the perfect look by positive/negative extrusions, which is how I got the base of the glass. Throwing on a shader in an icy blue (which is what I think of when I picture glass in games, for some reason) and ramping the transparency a third of the way up, I feel like it’s the right look. I also now have the option to alter the inside of the glass if I want it to look like there’s still some liquid in it.

Bedside Lamp

bedside-lamp

There isn’t too much to say about this lamp, since it’s a very retro design made up of cubes/straight lines, with a square base. Overall, it was actually quite a quick job, where the more challenging part of these lamps will be adding the light sources. We’ve covered lights in class, so I may have to go back to my notes to refresh my memory.

 

 

Desk Lamp

desk-lampWhile this lamp might look like the Pixar lamp, it was the bane of my existence last night. This was probably the seventh iteration of my attempt to model it. I think because the lamp has many curves and the head isn’t a straight-forward shape, it took me a while to figure out the extrusions, booleans, and shapes that I wanted to use.

I did have to use a boolean for the first time since my spaceship project, to attach the next of the lamp to the head. I then had to run a level two smooth on the neck to make it look less hexagonal. I think the overall look was what I wanted from the outset, but it certainly took a lot of thinking, cups of tea, and patience to get the shapes working the way I needed them to.

Moving Into the Room

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Overall, I’m pleased with the progress being made on the room. I planar-modelled the basic architecture of the room (it still needs a lot of work to look like it belongs in a spaceship), but at least this way I could start moving the furniture in. Some of the curves and bulkheads of the room are going to be a challenge, so the structure of the room might have to be scrapped and redone to incorporate more details, but so far I think it’s coming together even better than I expected.

Since I have the bulk of the room modelled, my next task will be UV unwrapping everything and starting the texturing – that will be the next post about this room, hopefully!

Advertisements
Posted in 3D

One thought on “3D Room – Modelling Complete (part 5)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s