With some more time after putting together what I’ll (mostly) be using for my Christmas game, I decided to turn my attentions back to the 3D room we’re meant to be modelling for Matt’s class. It’s been a while since I last worked on the props, so I watched a few videos on Pluralsight to refresh my memory. After that, I thought it was a good idea to make a list of the most prominent items in the room and begin working down that. While I’d made a chair previously, I wasn’t that keen on it and wanted to apply new skills to making a second version.
I started with a box that had four divisions, then did an extrude, but changed the slider for “keep faces together” to off and increased the offset. I then pulled out the new faces, highlighted the extrusions, and added two passes of the mesh smoother. This created a ribbed effect on the cube, similar to the chair in my reference photos. Deleting one face of the cube, I then mirrored the object to get eight bumps – about the same amount shown in the photo.
I think this is one of the most useful options I’ve applied during this whole project.
Using the soft selection tool while the vertices of the first four bumps were selected, I could manipulate the angle of the chair to get the curved look. It took some back and forth between rotation and move, but eventually I like the way it turned out.
From there, it was a matter of extruding various faces to create the look of the base; I took a few visual liberties with the design and I think it actually looks more interesting. I had some issues with extra faces inside the model, which ended up being a headache to fix, but I cut the chair in half to see inside (so I could delete any faces or merge vertices as needed) then mirrored the model for the final look.
I think in comparison to the previous chair I did, this look has turned out a lot better – it just goes to show that your first attempt shouldn’t always be your last. It also helped watching some online tutorials on the extra tools I used in Maya, such as how to get the ribbed look of the chair. Another extremely useful thing I learned as not to always think of working with blocks. The torus polygon is exceptionally useful for something very curved, such as the coffee table I needed to make next.
The table itself was worked in quarters, until I mirrored it on the X and Y axis. When you start to deconstruct furniture into halves (as with the chair) or quarters (as with the coffee table), it becomes easier to think of what shapes to use.
I’ve done some simple colouring on the models, just to show the shapes as they’ll be textured.
A lot of the furniture in the room is monochrome, so UV unwrapping will be the hardest part of texturing.
You can still see some of the torus in the table, cut up into its parts to then lengthen/move until I achieved the rounded rectangle I needed. The coffee table is very retro-looking, however I quite like it.
I also worked on the bed and bedside table, which felt like they’d be rather easy to do (aside from the duvet on the bed). I only needed to make one of the pillows and then duplicated it, but it started off as a cube with a number of divisions, then a bevelled edge to achieve the rounded look of the corners. The mattress actually sits in the bed frame, which I think is a nice addition even though you can’t really see it. The most challenging part of the two objects was the bed’s duvet. It took a lot of modifying a thinned (but with multiple divisions along the X axis) cube and soft selection to get the corners to drape down. For now, I think it looks fine, but I’ll likely decide after I’ve textured it to see how it looks.
Overall I think I’m making steady progress on the room. I think my greatest challenge will be the desk lamp and (oddly enough) the wine glasses, on top of the actual architecture of the room itself, with its odd angles and details.